Sunday, December 4, 2011

Finishing up the welt pockets.

As planned, I completed the welt pockets this morning.  A couple cups of coffee and I was ready to go.  I find it much easier to work on difficult things when I'm fresh.  



Here is the pocket all basted into place.  I find the little extra time this takes is well worth it.  

With everything securely basted in position, it's very easy to flip the work over and edgestitch the fold onto the pocketing below.  I can't imagine trying to do this with pins. 


The pocket bags are then stitched together.  Easy.  


The only step remaining is to secure the edges of the welt.  This is the technique used by Roberto Cabrera in his tailoring tome.  The welt edges are secured from behind using small diagonal stitches.  You will be able to feel the welt edge through the fabric.  Your stitches will be invisible from the front.  I stitched back and forth along the edge of the welt twice to really secure it well. 




No comments:

Post a Comment