Wednesday, January 4, 2012

The 8 degree (-13 C) photo shoot.


The "not so much wool" pea coat is finished!  


 
It was 8 degrees here in Maine today, so I'm wearing a flannel shirt, wool sweater and scarf under the coat.  On a day like today I'm very glad I decided to add the flannel underlining to the back.  I think it really made a difference.  


Here is the back view.  I'm pleased with the fit across the shoulders, and thankful that there's enough room for a few extra layers underneath it all.  



Here are some shots as the sun is fading.  The collar on this coat is huge, and when flipped up will really keep the biting winds out.  



So completes the Japanese pea coat.  I think I'll be getting a lot of use from this coat.  Up until now I've been wearing my frock coat (which I LOVE), but our weather has been unusually warm.  Sooner or later reality has to strike.  When it does, this will be my "go to" coat.  

At this point I've completed all 4 of the designs in the Japanese coat book.  Last year I thought I was just making a toggle coat, and look what happened!  I hope that my experiences will encourage other amateur sewist to tackle outerwear and tailoring.  Truly, if I can do it, anyone can.  

Right now, I just want to get warm and think of my next project.  


22 comments:

  1. Duane, it looks wonderful. Great job -- and stay warm!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous. Crisp edges and a great fit :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That coat is just fabulous - fit, style and finishing. Health to wear.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nothing like a wool coat with a big collar. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You could've actually worn that coat in Florida today. It was 31 degrees as I headed out this morning. Then again, that's probably balmy to a Mainer like you. The coat is wonderful, fits great, and looks fabulous on you! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't think of a good enough word to describe your coat. It is beautiful and the fit looks fantastic. Bravo to you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi there Duane!

    Wow, the fit of this coat is just immaculate! It looks so good and luxurious on you :-) Great job! :-D

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just as I was about to chuck it all in and give up on this one - you've re-inspired me! It looks magnificent - I hope I can do as good a job! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. oh my goodness, you are all kinds of awesome. i'm attempting my first tailoring right now, and am crazy intimidated by the things i don't know. good job!

    (oh yeah - and came here through a fashionable stitch. new follower!)

    ReplyDelete
  10. How beautiful! And you look strikingly handsome in that colour. Wonderful job!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well done! Beautiful tailoring that fits you wonderfully. An inspiration to the rest of us to keep trying :) Beannachtaí na Nollag na mBan - greetings from Ireland!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congratulations! You have done a wonderful job. I would say I hope you get to wear it loads - but that sounds like I am wishing bad weather on you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is a very awesome coat! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Looks great! The fabric for my coat came in the mail Saturday, a nice dark, olive green color. I will pre-shrink it tonight. I am wondering, is it necessary to preshrink all the other elements too, lining, interfacing, underling? Any advice will be helpful. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Amazing result. Big Compliments!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love finding new blogs, and when I do I go back to the beginning and try to check out how they started ect. I LOVE that you've come so far. You give me hope, I will be back to check out more. Keep sewing!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is gorgeous! So well made, and the fit is grand. BTW, I used to live in Portland! We travel up to northern Maine a lot to see my in-laws. So glad I discovered your blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Nashville, I preshrink everything but the polyester lining. According to Roberto Cabreara it's not necessary to shrink the lining. He's my guru, so I follow his advice.

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is amazing work! It looks fantastic on you. I'm so impressed, well done :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. You have a great looking coat. I love the color, fit and style.

    ReplyDelete
  21. A truly wonderful coat.I keep meaning to learn how to tailor properly and this coat makes me want to do it!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Just beautiful! I'm making my husband a pea coat and can't believe who hard it is to find a decent pattern. This one is nice!

    ReplyDelete