Saturday, March 8, 2014

Jeds

Pants -- A new frontier in sewing for me! For my first pair I'm making the Jedediah Pants from Thread Theory Designs. Let me just start by saying that these "kids", Morgan and Mattt, are doing some pretty amazing things out there in Vancouver. They've launched their own pattern company devoted exclusively to MENSWEAR. A very gutsy move, and I wish them all the success that they deserve. God knows there's a need. Please visit their website (which is gorgeous BTW) and see how innovative and stylish menswear can be.

You will find an entire sew-a-long on the Thread Theory website devoted to these pants, so I won't be going into a lot of construction detail. I'm sure this will eventually become the "trials and tribulations" of a first time pants maker, so I'm just going to jump in. Will they be perfect? Probably not, but I'm OK with that.

My goals are twofold. First, I just need to demystify the whole pants making process for myself. I can read and look at pictures all day, but I can't really grasp it until I physically DO it. It's just how I'm wired. Secondly, I'm hoping to "fine tune" this pattern over time, so I'll have a "go to" pattern when I need a pair of pants. It may take many pairs before I get there, but that's how it goes.

 

 

So here are the Jedediah pants. I think this design is brilliant. It's essentially a mash-up of jeans and khakis. There are slant pockets on the front (think Dockers), and patch pockets and a yoke on the back (think Levi's). The leg is quite slim and slouchy at the bottom. It's a young look and I'm not sure if I can pull it off, but I'm gonna try.

 

This is my first ever PDF pattern. I know lots of people hate them, but I thought it was actually kind of fun to put together. Everything seemed to line up very well. I roughly cut out the various pieces and then traced the size 36 using my Swedish tracing paper. I usually wear a 34, but after wrapping the waistband pattern piece around my middle, I convinced myself that I would never squeeze into it. You'll see the results of that decision next time. Yup, I'm making a muslin!

 

1 comment:

  1. Yes I have noticed that the Thread Theory patterns run to the small size, which is to say, more accurate than the usual ridiculous amounts of ease! Aren't they fantastic, I love the style of the patterns they are making. I have a Newcastle Cardigan on my to do list, in deep warm red with purple lamb nappa shoulder guards. not for me, of course! All the best with your Jeds :)

    ReplyDelete