Thursday, September 9, 2010

I'm just here to draw your blood



I've finished the muslin for coat #2.  It has all the charms of a phlebotomist's lab coat.  I hope you're not squeamish at the thought of blood!  I was actually able to incorporate the adjustments that I made to the duffle coat "on the fly" so to speak.  I added 1/2" to the shoulder width, and an additional 4" around.  The fit may be a bit snug with a sweater and flannel shirt, but the raglan sleeves have me totally intimidated, and I have that "quit while you're ahead" feeling.  The sleeves ended up about 1" too long, an easy fix.  Even though this seems like a lot of work, I've really come to see the value in making a fitting muslin.  In the case of this coat, it's helped me figure out the whole placket front.  (How do the buttons get hidden???) I also know that the collar is going to be major challenge.  Speaking of the collar, I'm going to be shopping for a contrasting fabric for the upper collar.  Corduroy or maybe wool in a contrasting color.  Plaid? This coat is screaming for a little "zing".  

8 comments:

  1. Duane, could you post a picture of what this coat is supposed to look like? Nice lab coat!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought you were working in a lab til I looked at the picture more closely!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I say go crazy with the corduroy or plaid. You already have a beautiful, completely practical coat with your toggle coat. Have fun with this one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad you're back...keep the updates coming!

    I found your blog via MPB and I must say it's great to follow along with your sewing. I can't quite brave sewing a coat yet, so I'll experience it vicariously through you for awhile!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lab coat! What a perfect analogy. Love it. I agree with Jenny, go fun with this one, a plaid would be gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great pics! You are lucky to have such a good photographer to help you

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm about to start making this coat but find the instructions for the fly front confusing. Did you add the 2cm from the seam line for the fly (as shown in the layout diagrams) and then 1cm everywhere else? I notice that all the other patterns have a 1.5cm seam allowance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Paul, I've gone back and pulled out my pattern pieces. I think I can walk you through this. It would be easier via email, (I can send you pics). Deckhandrn@gmail.com. I look forward to hearing from you. Duane

      Delete