Monday, May 31, 2010

A gift from Harriet Swinger



I really need to dust off, or ( in the case of Maine right now) blow the pollen off this blog.  Even though I haven't posted anything for 10 days, lots has been happening with the coat project.  I guess you have to call it serendipity.  The perfect book has come to me from my partner Martin's late mom, Harriet.  The Bishop Method of Clothing Construction , Circa 1959.  Holy smokes, here is more technical information on the true ART of sewing than I will ever be able to absorb.  It's both fascinating and terrifying all at the same time.  The one theme that repeats over and over in this book is "PERFECTION".  Apparently if I can achieve grain perfection, cut to perfection, stitch to perfection and press to perfection I will eliminate "the fireside touch".  This seems like a lot to live up to, but there's no turning back now.  Miss Edna Bryte Bishop and I are in it for the long haul.  Thank you, Harriet for this most wonderful gift.  PS  Muslin #2 is complete and will have its unveiling next.   

3 comments:

  1. Perfection, huh? Oy.

    Looking forward to muslin #2!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's the terrifying part! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. Martin says 'Thank you for celebrating Harriet with me!' She's glad to help!

    ReplyDelete