Wednesday, May 19, 2010

The muslin straightjacket




It's a cold rainy day here in Maine.  The perfect day to "play winter" by putting on a shirt and wool sweater before trying the muslin.  Yikes, I was worried that the XL was going to be small, but this is crazy.  There just doesn't seem to be any "ease" built into this pattern.  I've taken a sharpie and drawn where the toggles will go.  This helps establish the overlap on the front.  It's really pulling across my hip / gut.  Does this make me look fat???? And I haven't got a clue what's going on in the back.  It's bunched up all over.  
So I experimented by letting the front out by about 2 inches.  I think it's a start in the right direction. 
In addition to at least 2-3 extra inches all around, the shoulders may need to be just a touch wider.  I'm not a fan of huge shoulders but I'm  having  a hard time getting my arms into this coat.  Speaking of arms, I'm also afraid that the sleeves are too narrow and tapered.  Does anyone else think they look out of proportion for the coat?  

No comments:

Post a Comment